Just a reminder the following services are currently suspended:
*Texas Pride Garbage Service – no pick-up for Tuesday, September 14, 2021; will be picked up with Wednesday routes.
*Katy City Parks - all ball fields are closed until further notice. (Our crews will be assessing and cleaning up debris; update to follow when they re-open)
* Special thank you to all their Public Works, Police, Fire and Emergency Operations Center personnel who worked through the night to monitor and protect the community. Please take a moment to read the attached statement from the Office of the Mayor.
Tropical Storm Nicholas is NOT over. If you can, please stay where you are until the storm has passed. As of now Katy’s greatest impacts are:
*HIGH WINDS - Wind gusts of 45 to 55 mph are still occurring across southern and some eastern parts of the metro area.
*POWER OUTAGES - If you are using a generator, DO NOT bring it indoors. Carbon monoxide is a silent killer.
For those driving to work today, here are 5 tips from the driving in windy conditions.
1. Watch the weather 👀 Weather service offices may issue high-wind watches, warnings, or advisories when winds will make it difficult to drive. Expect winds to be worse in exposed places, such as straight, open roads, bridges and overpasses.
2. Be aware of high-profile vehicles 🚚 Large trucks, vans, buses, and those towing cargo, are vulnerable to losing control or tipping over in high winds. They can also create turbulence for motorcycles and other small vehicles. Drivers should pay extra attention to the road and anticipate gusts in windy conditions.
3. Keep your distance 🚗- - -🚕 Maintain a safe distance from other vehicles to give yourself and other motorists time and space to avoid any debris in the road. Turn on your headlights to see better through dust, dirt, or snow that the wind kicks up.
4. Keep your hands on the wheel 🤗 Heavy winds make it harder to steer and handle a vehicle, so keep a firm grip on the wheel. If you don’t feel comfortable driving, pull over to a safe place until the wind dies down.
5. Slow down ⏱️ Driving slower than the posted speed limit helps lessen the dangers of wind and helps you better control the vehicle.