The City of Katy is asking residents for help to prevent drainage issues
During our inclement weather please keep Katy streets clear for debris removal and drainage by doing your part and rolling in your cart! Returning your carts after collection allows for scheduled street sweeping and helps keep trash and receptacles out of our storm drains and drainage ditches.
For collection place trash can on the curb, not in the street. After collection, return your carts to their storage area such as behind a fence or on the side of your garage/house and make sure they are secure from wind. Don't lose your cart, write your address on a piece of tape and place inside the lid.
Other items that help us keep storm drains clear are:
- Never put anything in the storm drain or drainage ditch.
- Do not place any loose garbage bags, bags of lawn clippings, branches or limbs near the sidewalk or curb that could float away if water gets above curb level.
- Secure/store any items they may float or blow away during a weather event (basketball hoops, lawn furniture, trampolines, etc.).
- Try not to park in the street, but if you need to, please try not to park in front of any curbs inlets.
- If you see litter and trash in your neighborhood, pick it up and properly dispose of it.
Thanks Katy for doing your part! For immediate assistance with blocked drainage, please call Public Works at 281-391-4820 or email [email protected]
If you have work done that involves digging in your yard, be sure you do what you need to in order to prevent dirt from washing down the street. I was told by a city inspector that construction dirt has filled the Avenue D storm drains to the point that their effective capacity is only half what they were designed for. I'm sure storm drains all over are in similar state of reduced capacity.